How Do Business Owners and CEO’s Feel About the Economy?
More than 1600 Vistage members surveyed in the Q4 Vistage CEO Confidence Index reported a continued slowdown in the pace of economic growth and anticipated overall economic conditions would remain subdued in the first half of 2013.
On the other hand, optimism among small business owners who took the WSJ/Vistage Small Business CEO Survey reversed last month’s decline as renewed economic growth offset concerns about political and economic uncertainty.
Below are some key highlights from the Q4 2012 Vistage CEO Confidence Index (all members surveyed):
- 63% of CEOs anticipated revenue growth during the year ahead in the fourth quarter survey, down from 73% last year.
- 49% of CEOs expected increased profits, down from 52% last quarter and 55% last year.
- 35% of CEOs at year end reported improving economic conditions, down from 60% at the start of 2012.
- Combined 86% of CEOs said higher sales, new orders, and an improving economy were the most important influences on increasing the likelihood of hiring new employees.
- Planned hiring fell to 45% in the fourth quarter of 2012, down from 55% in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- See the remainder of the Q4 2012 Vistage CEO Confidence Index results with this interactive tool.
Below are some key highlights from the December Vistage/Wall Street Journal Small Business CEO Survey (members leading companies in the $1 million-$20 million range):
- 65% of small business firms expect their sale revenue to increase in the next year.
- 51% of small business firms expect their profitability to improve in the next year.
- 48% of small business firms say they plan to increase their hiring in the next year.
- 27% of small business firms think U.S. economic conditions in next year will be better than they are now, up from 20% in November.
- See the remainder of the Wall Street Journal/Vistage Small Business CEO Survey results with this interactive tool.
Read The Wall Street Journal article about the Wall Street Journal/Vistage Small Business CEO Survey results, featuring a Vistage member.
(Visited 53 times, 1 visits today)
Ready for more? Browse additional articles in Vistage CEO Confidence Index!